Thursday, June 15, 2006

 

Foundation for AIDS and Immune Research

Foundation for AIDS and Immune Research

I discovered FAIR because one of their members commented on my previous post. AIDS is something I've avoided thinking too much about. I was a very young child, living in Hawaii at the time, when I first heard about it. Then it was a taboo subject as a 'product' of the gay community and I was too young to understand any of that. I was in middle or high school before I understood the true origin and nature of the disease, but I did not hear much after that. If no one is making a fuss, I assume everything is fine. (just ask my sister)

The Peace Corps application process has brought AIDS/HIV back into my life. I'll be heading into a hotbed for the disease and every volunteer in Africa has a secondary role in AIDS education and awareness no matter what their main project is. Here it barely touches my daily life. In West Africa it will affect everything.

So I'm playing catch-up and FAIR is helping! The most recent post is on current and pending treatment methods. It's encouraging, but developing countries still face the big obstacles of cost and, I assume, education. All the drugs in the world will not help if people fail to make informed decisions. This job is going to be tough!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?