Saturday, October 06, 2007

 

Under the Veil


These are all the volunteers in my sector, Girls' Education and Empowerment (GEE), along with our Assit. PC Director Siham, her assistant, Dame, and the coordinator, Amanda, a second year volunteer. Good luck back in the US, Amanda! We miss you! We're a diverse group, some with teaching and work experience, some just out of college, a few guys, as you can see. I'm on the end in the black mulafa. I have chosen to wear the veil during the week and for all special occasions in Nema. I find it gives me an automatic in, paticularly with women. I consider it the Mauritanian power suit. No, it doesn't mean I've gone completely native (i.e. Muslim), nor do I support forced veiling and seclusion of women. People routinely call me bilani, or white moor (the power group here in Mauritania), and sometimes 'mooress' if they have any French or English! Besides helping with integration, it protects my skin from the sun and I can pull it across my face to keep out blowing sand (or worse). Plus, it makes me feel feminine, mysterious, and like I'm dressing up everyday. A little eyeliner and I become Layla, the beautiful woman from Arabic poetry. I'm having the time of my life. One big downside-it doesn't really keep me cool. When I'm being compeltely honest with myself I will admit that it's hard to feel sexy when sweat is oozing out of every pore.
Interesting note: the practice of veiling and seclusion was propagated by us-women-because Mohammed (The Prophet) veiled his wives to ensure their chastity since so many people came through his house every day. But he never intended for the average woman to take up the practice. They did it to emulate the prophets' wives! We are truly our own worst enemies.

Comments:
Yeah, but do you think they would've wanted to emulate the prophet's wives if they hadn't heard men talking about how those wives represented the ideal woman?

This claim of "women do it to themselves" is applied in the same manner to footbinding in China and simply does not ring true.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?