Thursday, November 22, 2007

 

Meetings



It’s been quite a week! On Sunday I saw Oulata, an ancient settlement that’s archeologically significant, courtesy of Woodside, who let Edna, Heather, Brooke from Aioun and I come with them. The ‘road’ there, especially going north, is terrible so it was nice to be in a good vehicle (can I have a Land Rover for Christmas?). Taff, btw, would NOT let me drive.

While there, we met another American, Will Doherty, who is really cool! He’s writing a novel on prehistoric Africa and has been traveling through Egypt, Sudan, Chad, Mali, Senegal, and now Mauritania--pretty much anywhere that has significant sites. We had a great visit and he said he would try to get in touch when he came back through Nema.

Tuesday morning I got the key to my new home! I have been looking forward to having ma propre maison for some time and it finally happened. It’s actually not too bad, even by American standards, and I have a light in my duush (bathroom)! That is like the coolest thing to me-you can’t imagine the significance if you don’t live here. I now actually look forward to getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom! I have a light! Wheeee!

Anyway, Tuesday morning I was in the marsa (market) buying buckets and someone called my name. It was Will! He had just arrived from Oulata and I just happened to be there. The car for Nara, another ancient site, didn’t leave until the next day, so he graciously helped me shop for my house, went to Woodside with Dave, and helped Heather cook dinner. The big treat was after dinner when he read excerpts for us. I was impressed. I’m always sceptical of historical fiction (though I love reading it), but I was carried away by his exquisite use of imagery and visible love for his characters. I feel I also connected better to the depictions of daily life in the story because I’m living it, just a little. It wouldn’t mean the same to me if I were not in Africa.

That was such a fun visit, Will. Thank you and safe travels. You’ll have to come through Nema again for a book signing. We just have to work on getting a Borders out here. Talk about a positive impact!

(Follow the link above to Will’s site)

Comments:
Sarah, I'm loving hearing about your time in Africa, and I'm glad you're enjoying it. I also love how random French phrases keep popping into your posts. :)
-Elizabeth
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?