Friday, March 27, 2009

 

River Town


M'Bagne, my site, sits on the Senegal River. I've been in it twice already because the intense heat is starting to roll in. First time swimming in an international border, by the way! M'Bagne is like coming home. Of my three sites, it is the most comfortable and welcoming. My Pulaar still isn't great, but at least I'm picking up a little. I'll miss the opportunities for intensive language acquisition when I am back stateside.

Big news is I have been accepted to George Washington U, Marquette U, and Boston U, thus far. Waiting on Vanderbilt and American U. I am leaning toward GW because they are in DC (close to my parents) and the Elliot School is a fantastic place to study (their program in development most closely matches my grad study goals). Unfortunately, some of my documents were a little late getting in and I missed the merit scholarship window. That means I'm looking at 160k's worth of debt.

I'll be honest. I dislike money and am never so happy as when someone else is 'taking care' of it for me. Sounds strange coming from a development worker, eh? It's true. To me, money is simply a necessary evil. For myself, I just want enough money to not be a burden to others. But all the things I want to do require money! So not fair! ;) Somehow, though, I'm not scared of going into debt for grad school. Should I be? In this financial climate, either we're all screwed in a fews years and my debt won't matter, or the economy will turn around and I will find work to start paying it off. And the big argument, grad school is an investment and there will always be risk involved.

Aie, aie, aie, usually I talk myself OUT of spending money!

Comments:
It's so worth it. Yes, things might be tight for a while, but don't worry. There is always some kind of job to be had. Where there is a will, there is a way.

I'm a little nervous, but I know I can do it- even if it means living at home the next year or two. Whatevs.
 
Congratulations on all those acceptances. We always knew you were smart, but to be accepted at all those fantastic school, I am inpressed.

I am glad you are leaning towards George Washington, you know we love D.C. as well, so no problem us ever visiting you.

Chat soon...
 
Many, maybe even most, grad students get at least part of their tuition covered by working as teaching assistants or research assistants. After my first year in grad school I was promoted to an assistanceship and didn't have to pay tuition for my whole second year.

Even during the time I was in grad school these positions were starting to become more scarce due to funding cuts and I'm sure the situation is still worse now, but any large university does need a certain amount of grad student labor. So if you are lucky then you may not need to pay as much out of pocket as you think.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?